The crown jewel among Potsdam's palaces is located on top of its vineyard terraces. Representing perfect harmony between architecture and landscape gardening it magically attracts visitors from all over the world. The garden front of Frederic's favourite palace presents a playful vision of Rococo with exuberant figures and vine branches while the Court of Honour shows off its neo-classical elegance featuring broadly rolling colonnades and the view of the "Mountain of Ruins" directly opposite.
Construction period: 1745-47 built as summer residence
Architect: Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff, partly following designs by the principal
Principal: Frederic II