Carriage Stable at the New Market
Film Museum Potsdam
Potsdam's most beautiful square is located not far from the reconstructed city palace: the New Market was not destroyed by wars or later construction errors so its decorative 18th century bourgeois houses remain intact. Back then the royal Carriage Stable was also granted an imposing new building on the western side of the square. Today it is home to the House of the Brandenburg-Prussian History. - The Film Museum is not far. It resides in Potsdam's oldest building, which turns its splendid baroque front to the Pleasure Garden. In 1685 it was built as an orangery but was turned into royal stables soon after. The building we see today was given its appearance by Sanssouci architect Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff in 1746. - On the other side of the city canal, which was once used for draining the building plots of Potsdam's first French quarter, there's a state-of-the-art concert hall hidden behind baroque building fronts: Nikolaisaal features both spectacular architecture as well as excellent acoustics. Since 2015 the front building has been home to Mediterranean Café Ricciotti. Its name pays homage to French star architect Rudy Riciotti who brilliantly designed the venue, which was opened in 2000.