When Frederic William II decided to have an orangery - then an indispensable winter residence for orange trees and other "Southern" plants - built near the Marble Palace, he also had the inspired thought of integrating a concert hall into the building. The wood panellings create a cosy atmosphere, carvings and inlaid work by cabinet maker Melchior Kambly and the painted ceiling by Bartolomeo Veronas bring an idealized vision of the surrounding gardens inside. Frederic William II himself played the cello here surrounded by his court musicians. Notably concerts performed on historical instruments benefit from the venue's acoustics.
further information on Palm Hall New Garden (Prussian Palaces and Gardens Foundation Berlin-Brandenburg) ›
Construction period: built 1791-93 as orangery with plant halls and music hall
Architect: Carl Gotthard Langhans
Principal: Frederic William II