The Church of Peace and its surrounding gardens form an ensemble intimately correlating the internal space to the external world. It is as Frederic William IV had envisioned: the Peace Garden's tranquil calmness sets the mood for the divine service celebrated in front of the precious 13th century Venetian apsis mosaic. Afterwards one is led to "paradise" in the Marly Garden - its delicately modelled profile and its great variety of plants make it a true Lenné garden jewel.
further information on Church of Peace (Prussian Palaces and Gardens Foundation Berlin-Brandenburg) ›
Construction period: built 1845-48, cloister completed in 1854
Architects: Ludwig Persius and Friedrich August Stüler, partially following designs by the principal;
Peace and Marly Gardens by Peter Joseph Lenné
Principal: Frederic William IV