New Palace of Sanssouci
with triumph gate & colonnade arches
Address: Am Neuen Palais, 14469 Potsdam
Construction period: built 1756-63
Architects: Johann Gottfried Büring, Heinrich Ludwig Manger, Carl von Gontard
Principal: Frederic II.
After the Seven-Year-War Frederic II wanted to show off Prussia's strength and had a new palace built at the western end of the main road in Sanssouci. He used its representative rooms for hosting festivities and receiving guests. The neighbouring hedge theatre was created for their entertainment: the open-air stage with its tall old trees surrounding it was reconstructed in 2012 for the celebrations of Frederic II's 300th birthday. The newly restored Triumph Gate with its colonnade arches is located opposite the New Palace and framed by the pavilion buildings called "Communs" (a service wing has rarely been hidden more effectively). A spectacular setting for the closing concert with fireworks.