Communs at the New Palace of Sanssouci
Address: Am Neuen Palais, 14469 Potsdam
Construction period: built 1756-63
Architects: Johann Gottfried Büring, Heinrich Ludwig Manger, Carl von Gontard
Principal: Frederic II.
To show off Prussia's force after the Seven-Year-War Frederic the Great had a new palace built at the western end of Sanssouci's main allée. He used its representative halls for festivities and to receive guests. The Triumph Gate with its colonnade arches opposite the palace is framed by pavilion buildings, the so-called "Communs" - rarely have service buildings been concealed so well. They enabled Frederic to present his guests with princely views on the Court of Honour Side of the New Palace as well. A spectacular setting for the closing concert with fireworks!
further information on New Palace (Prussian Palaces and Gardens Foundation Berlin-Brandenburg) ›