Address: Ribbeckstraße, 14469 Potsdam
Construction period: 1854/56
Architects: Friedrich August Stüler
Principal: Frederick William IV.
When architecture-loving King Frederick William IV had the crown estate Bornstedt redeveloped as "Italian hamlet", he himself provided ideas for a stylistically suitable church. Friedrich August Stüler built him a basilica with a free-standing campanile, which houses two medieval bells and an arcade. Three baroque tombs remain from the old village church, among them the one commemorating scholar Jakob Paul von Gundling who had been referred to as the Soldier King's "jester" and is reported to have been buried in a wine barrel back in the day.
Picture © Michael Lüder